Thursday 15 January 2009

War of Kings

The Marvel Cosmic event has started, and I'm dubious. See, back in the 90's I used to joke that if anything Marvel was making was doing well they'd try to sellotape an X-Men book on to it and inevitably it would all go to hell. Its based on flimsy evidence, and mainly about how bad the old 2099 universe went when they decided an X-Title would be just the thing to bring more readers into the fray. Saying that the Marvel Knights line has never really recovered from the time they added a whole morass of titles, including Wolverine and another X-Book, but saying that the problem was more that they just bunged a Marvel Knights banner on to several titles at that time. Still, in general I have a problem when events or other things try to force me to buy an X-Men book, and its not that I don't like the X-Men, but I'm just not interested enough to collect the comics. Anyway I digress.

War of Kings is running a little different form the Annihilation titles, presumably because with Guardians of the Galaxy and Nova already running it may be a bit much to get people to pick up 4 tie ins. In fact this could be a good diet event with a few one shots, Tie ins with Nova and Guardians which I already read, A Darkhawk 2 part mini and the problem child, X-Men Kingbreaker.

Yes, an X-Book.
I Missed Issue #1 but 'm tempted to see if I can track it down. Why, well partly completism but mainly because an X-Men spinnoff is one of the main characters and it may be a better jumping on point.

The plot of War of Kings looks like it will focus on a battle between the Kree and the Shi-Ar. Hang on, you say, this sounds like Operation: Galactic Storm. Well its not inconceivable that the Kree and Shi-Ar would fight again, and the difference here is that the Shi-Ar are lead by Vulcan, who is some relative of Cyclops from another X-book series who ended up running the Shi-Ar. and the Kree, who we see in the Secret Invasion tie in this week,a re now lead by Black Bolt and the inhumans, and using sonic tech based around his planet busting voice. SO the X-Book tie in isn't entirely untoward. The Shi-Ar are mainly the X-Men's aliens, and I was wondering where they had been through the Annihilation events. Looks like they're using the state of disarray to expand.

So, it looks like I'm going to cave and buy an X-Book.

I have reservations. I worry that War of Kings is going to shake up the cosmic status quo again which could be a pain, Guardians is just getting its stride and Nova is doing well, I don't think the cosmic branch of Marvel needs another event. I worry that this could do bad things to Guardians and Nova. On the other hand, it is still being helmed by Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning, and they've yet to see me wrong in the cosmic side of things, and 2099 only really went wrong when Peter David left, so perhaps provided D&A can keep things together it should be fine.

4 comments:

  1. Joe Q's attempts to turn you into an X-fan continue :-D

    He almost succeeded with that Jim Rhodes as a Sentinel thing. Will this fare any better? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am beginning to think it is that personal. I'm waiting for the new X-Men Lineup to either include War Machine, Century, Deathlok, USAgent and Hawkeye despite none of them being mutants. Or he could go the other way and add Ms Marvel, Black Widow, She-Hulk, Tigra and Black Cat to the team with Frank Cho doing Art. "Wolverine's in this comic too, Who Cares"

    ReplyDelete
  3. In fairness, I'd probably buy the second one as well, so its not just you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've suggested it enough. They could battle an evil task force of Titania, Madame Masque, Viper, Skein (Running short of attractive Marvel villanesses here) in their secret bese located in a Jelly factory.

    It would be a winner I tells ya.

    ReplyDelete