Tuesday 20 April 2010

So am I a Syfy fan now?

The UK Sci-fI channel has followed its US companion and re-branded to SyFy. This is despite most people thinking the re-branding was stupid and pointless. Presumably it is in aid of something like "Brand Cohesion" or "Reflexive corporate image synergy" or some other meaningless marketing rubbish, probably dreamed up by the same person who said "Why are we just selling to geeks, if we call it the Syfy channel instead of Sci-Fi we'll remove that stigma that has stopped people watching it for ages. It even has a tagline "Imagine greater" and why when I am World dictator marketing people will have a hard time of things. I can't believe anyone looks at Syfy and thinks "hmm" then sees "Imagine greater" and says "I'm sold"

No, marketing dude, that was probably the period, which Sc-Fi is only just coming out of, where the channel seemed to be trying to show as little Sci-Fi as possible.

I remember the old days of the sci-fi channel, it was unashamedly geeky, Bionic Wednesdays, where a whole afternoon was filled with repeats of the Six Million Dollar Man and Bionic Woman, MST3K, Quantum Leap. Sure, it lacked anything you hadn't seen before, even its films were usually old, and not the blockbusters either. But damn it I watched it, because sometimes I want to see old SF series. The channel evolved a little in the early 2000's, taking a slightly "Weird" approach it almost looked like the guy who is an enormous geek but tries to claim he's more "Alternative" Still, it hadn't lost too much of its geeky content, and even netted some of the better leftovers from Sky and BBC clearing the US Schedules. Without Sci-Fi then I wouldn't have seen Now and Again. They also introduced themed slots, like saturday morning carrying a couple of hours about Anime, with reports on japanese culture and usually a couple of Anime series (To my memory it was the excellent Neon Genesis Evangelion and the odd but fun Martian Successor Nadesco) along with themed horror nights on friday nights. These two periods represent in my opinion some of the best programming on the sci-fi channel.

It went a bit downhill from there, the channel seemed ashamed to keep showing its old repeats and similarly didn't buy anything particularly expensive, what resulted was a mass of duff "Direct to DVD" movies, usually involving Dean Cain fighting some giant reptile. It got worse, as they expanded (And I firmly believe the SyFy name change was part of this) into showing documentaries on dangerous wildlife and extreme weather. Now you may show Killer Shark vs Giant octopus IV, and I'd even allow some sort of super storm/volcano/asteroid drama as a kind of "What if Disaster movie" but the documentaries were pushing it. Similarly sometimes they'd show duff action films, no objection in principle but let bravo sho the non SF ones. I refuse to believe there is a shortage of duff SF themed action films.

Recently things have been improving. Sci-Fi got some fairly high profile series like Knight Rider, Warehouse 13, Sanctuary and Dollhouse. In fact the name changing away from Sci-Fi has preceded an increase in actual Sci-Fi on the channel, as if the marketing bod was distracted by his re-branding excercise and the geeks got to pick the programming.

My advice, Capitalise on this success, try and get some more original series, but remember, you need schedule padding, people will watch repeats of Quantum Leap and I know will definitely jump at anime series and MST3K if you can get those. New programming isn't the be all and end all. I have no objection to the crappy B Movies, I watched Warbirds (WWII female pilots and US soldiers vs dragons) and it was poor, but enjoyably so. Things like this need a home and Sci-Fi or even Syfy could be a place for them. Avoid turning into Bravo 3 and there could be a future in the old nerd yet.

5 comments:

  1. It has taken me until this evening to twig that SyFy is the old Sci-Fi channel. I put the change down to our education system which appears to be unable to teach kids anything other than text spelling. Understanding "Sci-Fi" requires at least 2 years in remedial classes, whereas SyFy is spelt as it sounds -innit.

    I used to watch the Sci-Fi channel until my doctor put me on a limited cable channel diet to reverse what was rapidly becoming a dangerously catatonic state. The Sci -Fi channel was the equivalent of roughage compared to the other mush I was consuming: Mostly Bravo, and endless music channels.

    I love crappy B movies too: I grew up watching them at the Saturday morning flicks or sneaking in at the local "flea pit" to watch an X certificate horror. Such reassuring trash and honest. They were bad and they knew it. Unlike so much of the dross spewed out now masquerading as SyFy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gods I hope not, I will thump a teenager if I find out its how they say Sci-Fi in txt spk. I remember 733t you kids can't scare me.

    Sci-Fi drifted perilously close to bravo for a while but has improved.

    I blame the Matrix you know, before a lower budget relatively unknown movie knew it had to be pretty special to actually be good. Most didn't have lofty aspirations and were a fun wink and nod distraction. Too often now they go all po faced serious just in case someone makes a cult film of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right, I had to google "Leet" before I understood 733t. It looks quite interesting. Stephen Fry take note.

    God, if you blame Matrix what must you think of Avatar; which is to be released on DVD etc next week. Question: in 3D? If not won't it lose most of it's impact?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I liked teh matrix, I just think it gave B-Movie makers a n unrealistic goal of making cult classics each time.

    Avatar was visually impressive and an enjoyable action romp, wonder if it will loose something not in 3D, I reckon teh effects will still be pretty impressive in 2D but it has been one of the better users of the 3D tech.

    Even with its comedy unkillable bad guy I'll still probably wait a bit to get this on DVD

    ReplyDelete
  5. Regarding the renaming, while it obviously looks a bit silly, I agree with the people that've suggested that it is probably a branding exercise, in that "Syfy" can probably be a copyrighted (trademarked?) word whereas "Sci-Fi" can't be. That makes sense to me, especially with them now producing various popular shows that get aired on other channels (such as Caprica).

    As a channel though, I agree its been on an upswing lately. A fair chunk of my weekly viewing is now with them. Warehouse 13 you've already mentioned, but the new V and Human Target that they've just started showing have been excellent as well.

    And I agree. Warbirds was great b-movie fun :-)

    ReplyDelete