Tuesday 22 June 2010

I am the Faceless Blogger Woooooo

I thought, since I’ve written a bit of political stuff, I’d explain why I blog from behind the very attractive but ultimately faceless façade of the Pie Man.

What it boils down to is my job, now I’m not going to tell you what that is beyond its in civil engineering; those who know me know what I do. The problem is twofold.

First, I do worry about my employers monitoring the net. Other companies have done it, and while I can’t update my blog from work it is out there for all to see. Even if I didn’t say what I did I doubt they’d be happy if their monitoring flagged up a critical article by their employees. I like blogging, more than my job, but until people will pay me equivalent salary for this random emptying of my mind anonymous will have to do. There are links between my real identity and my blog, but you’d have to find them (It’s not actually that hard but I’ll hardly tell you). There have been existing cases of employees sacked over the content of their blogs, so I’ll at least make linking me with my blog that much harder.

Second, Lazy Journalists. So, I write a piece critical of my company, or indeed my union near an upcoming strike. When one or the other comes under scrutiny journalist have often searched for key words and phrases in the hope of finding some internal bitching. This sort of thing got some MPs in trouble after their twitter feeds were followed last election. Now this may seem like me seeming overly self important, but I don’t want to read an article stating “Worker in company X blasts management/unions” and a reveal of my name may well lead to a discovery of my employer. This one is more pernicious. While my company not liking what I’ve written I can defend by pointing out my relative anonymity and how I do not say it is the opinions of an employee, something hitting the presses on the other hand is harder, as in public my name and status as an employee would be front and centre. To this end I do self censor a lot, both in blogs and forums, a shame because a couple of times saying I work where I work, or even quoting standards could have easily won arguments. This I think is wrong. I shouldn’t have to fear reprisals from what I post online, I would ask if ranting in the pub would receive the same scrutiny, but the only difference is I’m less likely to be near someone who can report it nationally while ranting in my local while on a blog it is there, and there for a good while.

I would like to see my right to express opinions about my work, employers and related gubbins protected, so that my boss can’t sack me for expressing opinion (Hell, I even have a comments section, that’s right to reply there you know) and I’d also like my blog posts to be protected by some form of copyright, namely that if anyone wants to use them they have to ask permission. Its new legal ground and I’ll be interested to see how many sackings we get before something is done.

3 comments:

  1. If only the world and his wife were impatiently waiting for the next pearls of wisdom to drop from my blog. Unfortunately, only a few friends and freaks (not you and others who follow me of course) wander casually into my domain.

    I'm not sure my ex employers would see or be interested in my blog. Although an ex colleague thought my views on Greece were interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must admit, this is pretty much why I decided to make my blog almost entirely comics and sci-fi, rather than comment on real world stuff. Although admittedly that'd probably just get me tagged a "nerd" by prospective employers and my CV dropped off the pile ;-)

    Its not right, but I've heard of even designated "safe" forums at workplaces being used as an excuse to get rid of staff members.

    There's a balance to be had, with not wanting to undermine your employer via blogging/tweets/whatever, but with the way things are these days, its sometimes not worth the risk :-(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know the chance of anyone (Beyond your two good selves) reading this are slim, call it an irrational fear.

    I can see the point of not undermining yoru employers entirely, and believe me If I was to act as a whistleblower I would hot foot it to as reputable section of teh press as I could manage. After all, if I'm whistleblowing, I want more than two people to read it. On teh other hand, accept that all your employees are not walking company brochures and some may bitch and moan like any otehr human and live with it, not many of us like our higher ups, because they tell us what to do and get paid more than us, provided you stay off anything libelous yous houdl be fine.

    ReplyDelete