Sunday 5 September 2010

Posting from a Blackberry

Last year I opened up a WordPress mirror site to mirror the existing Blogger version of this blog in order to circumvent my work’s internet blocking software. It didn’t work. I did keep the WordPress account open and running in tandem because frankly I wasn’t sure which one I preferred.

Recently I got my phone upgrade and opted for one of these new fangled smart phones although many would argue a BlackBerry curve is neither new or smart, could be worse I could have an Iphone. Anyway I wondered how easy posting would be for each site.

Blogger
This was a disappointment. Google have a suite of applications in the Google mobile app but blogger is not one of those which is a little odd, this would be fine if the Blogger site was optimised for mobile browsing. It isn’t, in fact its unusable so basically posting on the move isn’t going to happen on blogger hence why this post is appearing on WordPress before blogger.

WordPress
And over at wordpress it couldn’t be more different. I get a dedicated app which gives me most of the features I’d get on the web version plus the option to save drafts to the phone, handy when I’m on night shift in a dead zone. Overall a very satisfactory experience.
So, will blogger be dumped for this? No, typing a short post like this is sore on the thumbs, so web will still be my primary option, but this is nice to have. Get it sorted google.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, I've got the Wordpress app (Android) for my own blog and its incredibly handy.

    As you say, its a bit of a pain typing out anything lengthy on a smart phone, but its nice to have the option.

    One thing about Blogger though, do they let you email in new posts? Previously on my blog I had an option to setup a secret email address, and anything I sent to it would get posted up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, see that, got it set up now. Its good, I may be able to compose posts at work or on the train and that sort of thing.

    Downside is that normally a post gets quite a lot of consideration before it gets sent, that may change.

    ReplyDelete