Friday 6 March 2009

I will not buy yoru stinking X Titles




Gods be damned. Are the X-Books really doings o badly that they need sellotaped into everyone else's titles? Or are the cosmic events and Dark Avengers doing so badly that they need wolverine in them?


Yes, I cracked and bought Kingbreaker, and was left none the wiser regarding the influx of X-Men characters to my cosmic events, but now we have the Dark Avengers going up against the X-Men in a crossover of the likes that were so rightly hated in the '90s. So, to get the full story I have to pick up two issues of Dark Avengers, well that's not too much of a problem, but I'll have to pick up 2 issues of Unpronounceable X-Men and a special Alpha and Omega issue. Alpha and Omega issues, gods, haven't seen them since the Clone Saga. But for those counting, that's 2 more comics a month for 2 months for a story. And you know what, they're at the same thing with Thunderbolts, they're crossing over with Deadpool soon in a similar 1 issue of Thunderbolts, 1 of Deadpool type affair, although that bothers me less since i pick up both titles anyway.


I could see the argument that the whole object of the exercise is to see Osbourne's cabal pulling strings and the Dark Avengers and Thunderbolts both making Dark Reign felt across the Marvel universe. But these crossovers where i have to hunt down issues of other titles are really annoying. I wouldn't mind if they, say told em that there was going to be an X-Men story featuring the Dark Avengers, or that the Thunderbolts were appearing in Deadpool, but No, not a cross title crossover. I may man up and vote with my feet and either only buy the Dark Avengers issues or better still, buy neither, save me some money and pick up Dark Avengers after this debacle is over. Yes, I am that down on cheap marketing stunts like this, it could be the best story in the world but it is blighted by stupid cross title crossovers like this.


Grump and Harrumph.


As for Kingbreaker, if we are to assume that there will be another cosmic spinnoff from Kingbreaker My guess it will be one of the following, Darkhawk, Inhumans or Starjammers. Hint, don't make it Starjammers.

7 comments:

  1. So hang on. There's a storyline that if I'm buying Dark Avengers, I'll have to pick up some X-men books and a couple of specials as well?

    That's two issues of Dark Avengers I won't be buying then.

    Picked up Deadpool as I thought Deadpool and Ant Man could be an amusing combination, however wasn't really that fussed about the issue. The weird dream sequence thing seemed a little forced to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Missed Deadpool, feels tupid, will see if tehre are any issues left next week, but overall this run just hasn't had the magic of Fabian Nic... Niks... Him wot wrote deadpool before it was axed's run.

    But yes, there iwll apparently be a story where you'll have to pick up 2 issues of Illegible X-Men and 2 Issues of Dark Avengers plus the all important Alpha and Omegha issues. If any of these issues comes with a foil cover or a hologram cell I will officially shout doomed by marketing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its already doomed by marketing for me. That'll be two months of no Dark Avengers for me, which usually equals a dropped title, unless the third month does something pretty cool-looking.

    Granted, a cover pin up of Moonstone-as-Ms-Marvel would do it. I'm shallow that way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WHats your preference, current look or the old costume's no midriff look? Anyway, I still think the Carol Danvers Ms Marvel probably has one of the best female superhero costumes out there.

    But I agree, this really annoying sort of crossover is becoming worryingly common and it reminds me too much of the early 90s and we know how that worked out

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd need to check out a pic of the old version to be honest. But I quite like this new one.

    Nice to see them bucking the "no-midriff" trend that was blighting super-heroine costumes for a while though. That was really doing my head in (although annoyingly, Battle for the Cowl seems to have Huntress back in her Hush outfit rather than the more sensible modern version).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Right, I've done a Google image search, and can definitively say I prefer the Moonstone version of the costume to the "proper" midriff-less version.

    ReplyDelete
  7. To be fair, its probably one of Moonstone's better costumes anyway.

    I was worried, She-Hulk went no-midriff in her last run, actually a bit worse no-midriff and with thong poking out from trousers. Yes she was meant to be down on her luck but there are limits.

    ReplyDelete